Thursday, December 15, 2005

Nerd Nation

I LOVE this show. Everyone should watch it. I do believe its on Thursdays after Call for Help (I heart Leo!!)on G4. Its a series of documentaries about, well...nerds. One episode was about comic book nerds, one was about hackers (that one was GOOD!) and today's poses the question: What IS a nerd?

That's a good question. I've always considered myself a nerd, but when I watch this show...I'm not so sure I come anywhere close. I loved Star Trek. I've been to a Star Trek convention with "Dr. Troy." I played with Star Trek action figures (in private, mind you). I went to school on halloween dressed as Major Kira and my friend was Dax. I still watch DS9 and TNG on Spike TV from time to time. If I catch it, then I'm hooked and watch all 4 hours. Its pretty bad. *sigh* I had such a crush on Wil Wheaton and Dr. Bashir. Anyway, I went to school dressed up as an X-Files agent on career day and wrote a paper on how I was going to be one when I grew up. I got bullied...a lot. HA! Yeeeeaaaaah. I was a nerd.

But some of the stories that people are telling on Nerd Nation right now are far worse than mine. One girl had a popular guy tell her she needed a new face and dragged her face across the sidewalk! Another guy was sexually assaulted by a man who preyed on his insecurities and lured him to his house with promises of coffee and deep conversation. See, I can laugh at all the times my hair was pulled and my butt was kicked, but that stuff is just wrong!

What was really interesting about this show is that, you can't quite put your finger on what exactly it is makes these people nerds (or maybe it was. Maybe I just love all the things they loved too, so I thought they were cool), but at the end of the day it was unmistakable that these people were nerds and still are nerds. I wonder if I'm still a nerd.

Are or were any of you nerds?

4 Comments:

Blogger FBombAndy said...

Crap if I know. Let's see. I code in Java, C, C++. I'm picking up Ruby. I play RPGs. Dragon Quest VIII is my latest addiction. I like some anime. I don't like social gatherings. I play Magic The Gathering occasionally. And I'm a CS major.

But I love sports. ESPN, then G4. And I'm actually good at basketball. I can run like nobody's business, and during winter, I'd rather be outdoors than indoors.

Eh, I don't know. Maybe I'm 1/2 nerd.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sorry man. Playing Magic the Gathering makes you 110% nerd no matter what. It over shadows anything cool you may do.

I forgot that I play D&D and like anime as well. I forget anime makes you a nerd, because its so beautiful.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

well, according to the dictionary a nerd is:

a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious

I'm not that. But still, I'm not very social.

besides, chicks dig me! And I know the rush of rolling a 20...

5:30 PM  
Blogger Dutch DeGay said...

No doubt about it I'm a full on nerd. I got 10 years of Army service to include a few years being a "cool guy" Ranger and guess what? I'm still a freakin' nerd.

Not like its a bad. There are just some of us that love the whole techie side of stuff. It's funny that all the people that made fun of nerds when we were younger would be lost without them now.

"a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious"

That definition needs to be updated. I'll spend all night building a monster rig or playing God of War but then get tanked and steal your sister! Know what I mean?

Oh yeah, and Battlestar Galactica rocks! hehehe

Dutch
www.thedigitalblast.com

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home