Monday, December 19, 2005

Sad Day for G4

G4 media has issues. Deep, deep issues that, unless they are resolved, they will cause that company to tank like nothing we've ever seen before.

It all started when G4 media bought out and eradicated TechTV, firing some of the brightest and most talented people in the tech industry. Then they changed The Screen Savers into Attack of the Show. A fine show in it's own right, but nothing that should have replaced TSS. Calling themselves an all video game channel, they grossly mis-judged their audience when they inroduced "The Whip Set." There are gamers who would like to watch half-naked women dry hump tricked out muscle cars, but it just so happens they do not NOT watch G4. Then the network bought Fast Lane. A show that only lasted 4 episodes on FOX. FOX you guys! If a show can't even last longer than a month on FOX, chances are that show SUCKS and should be avoided at all costs. Not so if you are G4 media, though. Nooo, you must shell out millions for it AND really old episodes of The Man Show, none of which have any relevence to the channel at all in the first place.

The network has been able to keep some good shows around, like X-Play, Icons, Nerd Nation, they aquired Call for Help (a show they cancelled in the first place.) and G4tv.com the show.

But, sadly, word went out last week that G4tv.com the show had been cancelled. One of the last shows in their line-up that actually was about video games and it was good too! They had talented people including Geoff Keighly! How do you fire the "dean of the gaming press?" I just don't get it. It was quite obvious that Tina Wood, Laura Foy and Geoff Keighley had a lot of passion for video games and their show. You can also tell by their co-workers and guests that they were loved and respected.

I am sad to see the show go. I feel like I didn't get to spend very much time with it and I really wish it was still on. They discussed issues in gaming that were important, relevent and made me think critically about the industry. That is an important element to have in your line-up and G4 is now seriously lacking. Lord knows they aren't gonna get it from Attack of the Show.

So, goodbye Tina, goodbye Laura and goodbye Geoff. Sorry G4 had to ruin your Christmas and rest assured that you will be missed.

3 Comments:

Blogger FBombAndy said...

Wow. That sucks bad.

Yea, G4 is screwing around. I can't help but feel like I'm being teased. I've grown attached to some of the shows, and I just know they're going to cancel them all and make G4 into SpikeTv Lite.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Zodiak said...

Well, this signals the fall of G4 IMO....that show was great, had the games, developer interviews and so much more. I dunno maybe they will try to keep it alive online (I hope, but doubt it).

8:36 AM  
Blogger Dutch DeGay said...

I just can't get over how what used to be TechTV (a channel I used to run home to watch or would stay up all night watching shows I missed on Tivo) has fallen.
I Channel that's supposed to be about videogaming cancels one if the few shows that actually FOCUSES on videogames. I can't ven put into words how much that pisses me off!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home