Saturday, October 04, 2008

This Blows ... The Cold Wind, That Is.

My winterizing endeavors have been squashed by a fever, BUT, my father and I managed to get FOUR WHOLE WINDOWS covered with plastic film. HAHAHA!!!! Every thing looks really good so far, though, and I couldn't be happier with the work that has been done. He plans to come back in from Madison some time late October to finish up the rest of the windows.

One thing that was interesting was that, as soon as we got the the four big windows covered, we noticed a significant drop in the temperature of the apartment. The temperature outside was noticeably warmer, but because of the coverings (and probably just the nature/architecture of the building its self) were keeping the cold air in. Which means, when we DO finally start running that furnace, that warm air will be kept in the house and that is a very good thing.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that we have a gas stove. That means at least ONE window must be kept unsealed. This will provide for some airflow and not allow gas to collect inside the house. I was worried about that one window causing some significant leaking, but a fellow local blogger, Sarandi (check out his BLOG it's really extrasupervery cool and interesting!) suggested that I make snakes for the window sills made of old clothing. That is not only a smart idea, but sounds like a great project to keep me busy. My only problem is, I just moved. I just donated all my old clothes, so I don't really know if I have anything to use. We shall see though.

So, that just leaves the ill-fitting front door. My landlord said someone would be over yesterday to check out, but problems arose and they were unable to make it, but hopefully sometime after 4:30pm on Monday. Once that problem gets put away, heating this old house should be pretty efficient. I am SO excited!


Now that I have a firm grasp on how I waste energy at home and what I can do to change that, my next challenge is to reduce the amount of plastics i purchase and bring into the house. There has to be a better way to get soaps and such with out having to full the recycling bin with plastic bottles. Reduce, reuse, recycle! I'll do the research and hopefully find places that use either plastic alternatives, or heavily recycled plastics.

I've already started reusing what I can at home, putting my sugar in my coffee canister and my rice in my spaghetti jars, but I'm sure there is more I can do and I plan to find it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home