Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Part of That Mentality.

I've gotten almost all my music imported onto my now not so new macbook. I was being lazy. My goal is to get it all in there, back it all up, then sell off all my CDs. I want to be serious about living a greener life and winter is such a tough time to keep this all in perspective. It's so cold, all I can do to keep my sanity is to take long hot showers and use my space heater to warm up my room. So, to keep my thoughts on conservation I'm pushing to rid myself of all my plastic music.

This one is a difficult move to make. For anyone who's a music lover, there is something so wonderful ... so ... holy about having a physical disc in your hands. There's almost a cult sort of obsession around owning physical copies of music and I certainly have been a part of that mentality in the past.

But, honestly. Take a moment to really think about a CD and all the plastic and paper that goes into it. I don't even have a decent stereo in which to listen to my music on, so I end up importing it into iTunes and never using the disc again. It sits there, taking up space and ends up being a waste of money. I could have saved $3-$5 by downloading it on iTunes.

Selling CDs and buying others used is a great way to recycle. I appreciate that process and I will keep shopping used discs. The change will be when I can't find what I'm looking for used, I'll get it from iTunes instead of ordering a copy from Amazon.

It's going to be tough. I'll not feel complete, but it's just a better decision for the long haul. It really is. I truly believe this will help make a difference. Especially if we can start a movement and get artists into it, selling digital downloads instead of CDs.

*crickets*

I know. That'll never happen. Until then, I will do what I can to make a difference and hope that people see it and are inspired to make a sacrifice as big as this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home